After working 8, 9,or 11 hours at my first job, I go home to my second job: wife and mother. My first order of business once we get home is to fill their hungry bellies. My husband isn’t overly picky but lil Sydney is another matter. If I am not serving rice, spaghetti, chicken nuggets, greens or yogurt, she’s not eating it.
My mother in her infinite wisdom, told me not to worry about setting strict guidelines for Sydney’s meal plans. “She’s a toddler, don’t worry about it yet.” And according to Dr. Sears, “toddlers gain weight more slowly. So of course they need less food.”
So instead of forcing Syd to eat “complete” meals, I am going for the nibble approach. Dr. Sears suggested:
- apple moons (thinly sliced)
- avocado boats (a quarter of an avocado)
- banana wheels
- broccoli trees (steamed broccoli florets)
- carrot swords (cooked and thinly sliced)
- cheese building blocks
- egg canoes (hard- boiled egg wedges)
- little O’s (o-shaped cereal)
Do you have any suggestions on feeding a picky eater? I would love to hear from you!